It's been such a long time...

I cannot believe how long it has been since I have posted in my blog. So I thought I would take a moment to share updates on how college life has been since my last post. I am now into the meat of my degree; Journalism classes. Somehow, I survived the general education courses, including the two Algebra courses, and came out on the other side unscathed. 

What I have discovered is to get to my dream job in editing or proofreading or the like, I still need to be able to write, even though I do not consider myself a writer. I get it. So, I write!

I am starting to feel the degree within reach - October 2018 is just next year. I am already planning the trip to San Diego for the graduation and will plan a nice vacation around it. I can already smell the salty air, hear the wild birds, and smell the Wild Mock Orange shrubs that smell like orange blossoms.


I saw a Pixar-like animated commercial the other day of a single mom struggling at her job trying to do better and feeling down, when she gets inspiration from a Rosie the Riveter "We can do it" poster that had hung at her factory job she brought home with her after she had been fired. The single mom makes a decision to get a degree online and it shows her on her laptop working hard while still taking care of her family, even late into the night after everyone is bed. It shows her at the end in a new job with her degree and happy. Seeing this made me think of my struggles and how this will be worth it in the end. I am appreciative to have supporting daughters living with me who understand; they get it.

I have completed 80 credits so far and 40 more to go, and have maintained a 3.89 GPA. My goal is still to walk across that stage with honors and be the example that no matter how old you are, no matter what your status quo, no matter that you are a single mom, you can do it too.

Comments

  1. Thank you and Congratulations to you. I am an Ashford student and will be walking across the stage next year in the spring. This journey has been special because I thought that I couldn't do it. I proceed me wrong while holding fast to a 3.6 GPA. Thank you for your words of encouragement and Good luck in your journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My degree is just around the corner!

1st Course complete, into 2nd Course (Psych 202)!